Monday 21 November 2011

Movember Moustaches - Part 3

This blog is the third installment of my Movember Moustaches series featuring historical moustaches to coincide with the Movember campaign to raise money for prostate cancer. To find more about Movember, please click here.

This week I introduce you to the Walrus Moustache. This moustache is so impressive, it even warrants its own Wikipedia page.   While you may have never heard of this facial wonder, you have undoubtedly seen it.  Look no further than Mr. Friedrich Nietzsche.



I was initially hesitant to give Nietzsche attention in the privileged Movember Moustache hall of fame due to my intense dislike for all things philosophy and my difficulties with spelling his name, but in the end, the moustache won.







Nietzsche is best known for his philosophical work in existentialism, nihilism and postmodernism and bearing a resemblance to this walrus. He was a particularly bright fellow that showed an abundance of potential. At only 24 years of age, he was named a professor of classical philology at the University of Basel despite lacking his doctorate or any teaching credentials. I won't mention this to all the PhD graduates currently looking for jobs. In order to take up the teaching position in Basel, Nietzsche gave up his Prussian citizenship, after which he remained stateless for the rest of his life. As it turns out, his life didn't end up being that long. Nietzsche died in 1900 at the age of 55 after being plagued by mental illness, strokes and pneumonia. 

During my extensive research for this blog, I read up on Nietzsche's philosophical perspectives, but I was much too distracted by his moustache to retain any information. I would apologize, but were you really expecting philosophy from a blog about moustaches?

No comments:

Post a Comment