Sunday 9 October 2011

Algorithmic Culture

It is probably not a surprise to to you that I have a severe case of technological ineptitude. I am an aspiring historian after all - how much do I really need to know about the strange universe called the world wide web?  Well, it turns out, I need to know a lot. My skills in the realm of twitter, facebook and blogging won't get me very far in this digital age of academics. The first two books for my Digital History course -Blown to Bits and Web Dragons - made that fact abundantly clear.

Despite my lack of comprehension of all the techno-speak in the two books, it was quite fascinating to learn about the systems and culture guiding the development of the Internet.  As a tool I use each and everyday, it is surprising how much trust I place in a technology that I barely understand.  The most interesting concept arising from the two books is the discussion of the lack of neutrality and subjectivity within search engines.  Although the development of the Internet has allowed for the democratization of information, our access to that information is not as democratic as one might assume.  Because technology is incapable of human reasoning, search engines rely on complex algorithms to answer our questions and we in turn place our trust in them as an authority for our source of knowledge.

These are concepts I can't quite wrap my head around - but the good news is, I found someone who can discuss the topic more eloquently than myself.  Click the link below to listen to a discussion with Ted Striphas from Indiana University as he talks to CBC radio about algorithmic culture and "the social implications of leaving discovery and serendipity, the very cornerstones of culture, to complex math."







No comments:

Post a Comment